Airport transit visa

An airport transit visa (also called ’A’ visa), is a visa that allows you to transit through the international zone of a French airport with no access to the Schengen space, before flying to your final destination.

For example: you fly NEW YORK - PARIS - NEW DELHI or NEW YORK - PARIS - LAGOS, and stay within the international zone at Roissy - Charles de Gaulle airport for a few hours, without going through immigration.


• Traveling from the USA to any SCHENGEN COUNTRY (except France) via a FRENCH AIRPORT is not considered an airport transit neither is travelling from the USA to any country via 2 Schengen state airports. All flights between two or more Schengen States are considered to be «domestic» flights. Depending on your nationality, you might need a short stay visa.

• If you transit through a French airport and if you need a visa for the Schengen state which is your main destination, you must apply for a short stay visa at the consulate of that country. This Schengen visa will allow you to transit through a French airport.

Will I be able to pay a quick visit to Paris?

NO. An airport transit visa does not allow you to go out of the international zone of the airport. if you need to change airports you will need a short stay visa, also called ’C’ visa.

ATTENTION: please read this important announcement before preparing your file:

Each file must be presented in exact duplicate (original of each document with their photocopies, as listed on the website).
The Consulate will, in no circumstance, make any photocopies and files can no longer be completed at a later stage.
All the files presented will be carefully examined by the Visa Department. However, we wish to emphasize the fact that if you do not produce all the requested documents (originals with their photocopies), the visa might be denied.
Therefore, reapplying will mean the rescheduling of an appointment and full repayment of the visa fee.
No exception will be made.
For this reason, we do advise you to prepare your file with the utmost care in order to avoid any delays.


- Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.

- 1 application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read carefully the explanations).

- 2 ID pictures stapled onto the application form (white background, full face, no glasses nor hat, closed mouth, no scarf)

- A proof of your status in the USA (US visa along with a copy of I-20 / I-AP66 / I-94, or an Advance Parole document.
We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence

- Your travel itinerary to your country of destination: you MUST BOOK your airline ticket but do not purchase until the visa has been approved.

- if applicable : a valid visa for the country which is your main destination.

- If the applicant is under 18 years old and travelling without his parents:

o notarized copy of his/her birth certificate
o notarized authorization from both parents allowing their child to travel to France or from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree.
o if you are divorced : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren).

Click here to make an appointment.



Dernière modification : 11/04/2016

top of the page