French overseas territories visas

French Overseas Territories visas


Valid for Overseas Departments or Overseas Territories only

The French Consulate will only accept applications from residents of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Bermuda.

We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence.

Please be advised that visa applications by mail are not accepted.

You may not apply more than 90 days prior to your departure.

Please submit the following documents in original and 1 copy of each per applicant

Attention: The Visa Section does not make any photocopies. Therefore, you must bring your documents and the required copies.

The Consular Administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant. Obtaining a visa is not always guaranteed and does not in itself grant you the right to enter a French or Schengen territory. It is therefore necessary that you always carry with you the original documents used to obtain the visa.

Passengers on cruise ships are exempt from visa requirements to enter and stay in these territories for the duration of the stop if they are green card holders or if they hold a valid US resident visa.

The French Overseas Departments are: French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe

The French Overseas Territories are: French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, Marquesas Islands), St. Pierre Miquelon, Mayotte, New Caledonia, Wallis Futuna, St. Martin, St. Barthelemy, Reunion

ATTENTION: please read this important announcement before preparing your file:

From April 5th 2010, the implementation of the new Schengen code for the issue of visas is in effect.
On this occasion, we would like to remind all visa applicants that each file must be presented in exact duplicate (original of each document with their photocopies, as listed on the website).
The Consulate will, in no circumstance, make any photocopies and files can no longer be completed at a later stage.
All the files presented will be carefully examined by the Visa Department. However, we wish to emphasize the fact that if you do not produce all the requested documents (originals with their photocopies), the visa will be denied.
Therefore, reapplying will mean the rescheduling of an appointment and full repayment of the visa fee.
No exception will be made.
For this reason, we do advise you to prepare your file with the utmost care in order to avoid any delays.
You may not apply more than 90 days prior to your departure.


Please submit the following documents in original and 1 copy per applicant


The form must be completely and legibly filled in with black or blue ink, signed by the applicant and dated

The color photos must be recent, passport size - 2" x 2" (4,5cm x 4,5cm) and showing the full face, the forehead hairline and ears on a white background, pictures must be without glasses, no scarf, nor hats, no smile.

PASSEPORT or travel document (+ 1 copy of the identity page and the validity of the passport) valid for at least three months following the last day of your stay in France.
The validity of your passport cannot exceed 10 years from the date of first issuance. Make sure the passport has at least two blank pages left for visa purpose. Only these pages can be endorsed with the visa. Amendment pages can in no way be used for visas.

For non-US citizens : a U.S.A. residency card (Green Card) (+ 1 copy) or I-551 stamp, (+1 copy) or a USA visa valid for at least three months following the last day of your stay in France, with I-94 (if J1 provid also J1 form), (if F1 visa provid also I-20 form signed by your school), (+1 copy) or an Advanced Parole, which must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the last day in France. (+1copy)

Complete personal itinerary or round trip ticket with confirmed dates. Open tickets are not accepted. JUST BOOK your trip but DO NOT PURCHASE your tickets until the visa has been approved.

PROOF OF ACCOMODATION (for the whole length of your stay) (+1 copy)
Confirmed and personal reservation from the hotel(s) in France and in the Schengen countries to be visited and which must be sent directly to you and not to the Consulate, confirming your reservations for each night you will spend in France and the Schengen States (we do not accept emails confirmations),
personal hotel vouchers confirming your booking for a tour with names and addresses of all hotels with the number of nights stay in each (+ 1 copy),
if you are staying with family or friend(s) you must present a certificate of board and lodging "Attestation d’Accueil", which has to be obtained by your relatives or friends at the city hall ("Mairie"). The original needs to be stamped by this consulate to be valid and should be presented upon arrival in France.

Proof that you have at least 100 U.S.Dollars per day for each day you will stay in the Schengen countries.

To be submitted in the four following forms:
- an up-to-date letter from your employer in the U.S.A mentioning your annual salary, stating that your requested time of absence has been approved and confirming your continued employment on your return (+ 1 copy)
- your last 3 paystubs (+ 1 copy)
- your last 3 monthly bank statements in US currency and not a summary (+ 1 copy)
- if your financial means are not sufficient, you may also provide a notarized letter from your sponsor stating he/she will be responsible for all your expenses and a proof of his/her financial means (+ 1 copy).

If you are a business owner:
- your business permit, license or registration or your last tax returns (first 5 pages)

- your last 3 monthly bank statements in US currency and not a summary (+ 1 copy), Internet printed copies are not accepted

MEDICAL INSURANCE, A letter from an insurance company (+ 1 copy) stating that you will be covered for any medical, hospitalization and repatriation expenses (the three words must be written) for at least $45,000 during your stay in the the French Overseas Territories. If your current insurance company does not provide such a coverage, please find an international insurance company (and ask for the letter mentioned above with the three words).

If you are traveling for business in France, the following documents (+ 1 copy), are also required:
An official business invitation letter from a company in France and a letter from your employer in the U.S.A stating:
-that you are going to France on their behalf and for what purpose
-the name, address and contact number of the company to be visited
- that your employer takes full responsibility for all your expenses while in France and guarantees your return to the U.S.A

If you are attending a conference in France, please provide the name, location, and a contact person for that conference with registration or invitation.

Click here to make an appointment.

Dernière modification : 11/04/2016

top of the page