Short stay visa for spouses for French nationals

Up to 90 days

According to the law of July 24, 2006, regarding immigration and integration, family members of French citizens, excluding citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Space, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino and Algeria, must be in possession of a long stay visa in order to apply for a residency card in France

This Consulate will only accept applications from residents of the States of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Bermuda.

Please be advised that visa applications by mail are not accepted.

Attention: The Visa Section does not make any copies. You must bring your documents and the required copies.

In the case of a marriage abroad, it must be registered at the French Consulate with jurisdiction over the location of the ceremony.

You may obtain a multiple entry visa valid for several short stays within the period of 1 year, free of charge, providing you bring the following documents;


- 1 application form,
The form must be completely and legibly filled in with black or blue ink, signed by the applicant and dated.

- 2 recent passport photographs, passport size - 2" x 2" (4,5cm x 4,5cm) and showing the full face, the forehead hairline and ears on a white background ; pictures must be without glasses, no scarf, nor hat, no smile.

- Passport or travel document (+ 1 copy of the identity page and the validity of the passport) valid for at least three months following the last day of your stay in France. The validity of your passport cannot exceed 10 years from the date of first issuance. Make sure the passport has at least two blank pages left for visa purpose. Only these pages can be endorsed with the visa. Amendment pages can in no way be used for visas. A long stay visa cannot be issued in a "Refugee Travel Document" or a "Re-entry Permit".

- For non-US citizens: A U.S.A. residency card (Green Card) or I-551 stamp, or a valid U.S.A. visa with I-94 and IAP66 or I-20 were applicable or an Advanced Parole, which must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the last day in France (+ 1 copy).

The following documents must be presented in original and one set of copies per applicant

- A certified copy of the French marriage certificate (less than 2 months old) issued either by a French "Mairie" or by a French Consulate (+ 1 copy), and the "Livret de famille" (+ 1 copy)

- Valid French identification Card (Carte Nationale d’Identité) (+ 1 copy) or a certificate of French nationality (certificat de nationalité française) (+ 1 copy) or "décret de naturalisation" (+ 1 copy) or "décret de réintégration dans la nationalité française" (+ 1 copy) or a French birth certificate with a written confirmation of the French nationality of the person (+ 1 copy) or proof that the French spouse is registred at a French Consulate (+ 1 copy).

- a flight reservation

If the marriage has not been registered with French Authorities you must apply for a Schengen visa which is subject to a fee.

Click here to make an appointment.



Dernière modification : 11/04/2016

top of the page